Sunday 23 February 2014

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and Conventions of real media products?

The song that i chose for my Music video was a song by Christina Perri "A Thousand Years", It is of the genre Pop. Pop is a mainstream genre, so it is expected to have sub-genres within the genre. So my chosen song is a piano pop song. Piano pop is very cheesy and cliche, so it follows a very stereotypical format of a traditional love song.  My main model for my music video conforms to the ideology of what a pop star looks like, however i wanted her to be an aspirational figure to my target audience and look up to her as a role model. This is part of Maslow's hierarchy of needs, i also wanted to portray a good role model figure to parents, so they would encourage children to look up to Clare, i did this through Clare's refreshing real persona.
I followed Goodwin's theory of having a relationship between visuals and lyrics, so i used props and shots to reinforce the lyrics. Goodwin also stated that breaking the fourth wall creates a successful music video, i have done this throughout the music video, this forms an emotive connection between the Clare and the audience, almost like a bond.
For the setting of the music video I used the school hall as it closely resembled what i wanted. I was very fortunate to get hold of an authentic piano, and for it to be in the hall, so filming the Piano parts were easier than i expected, the whole lighting process was the difficult part as i wanted to re-create the scene as if she was on stage performing. Clare's first outfit was inspired by Amy Winehouse, and a modernized version of Coco Chanel's little black dress. I chose for Clare to have bright red lipstick, so that her look wasn't completely conservative however showed a sense of personality in a less obvious and raunchy way like Rihanna and Miley Cyrus.


 I chose for Clare to have a more clean and simple look  as I realised that my target audience is parents as well as teenagers, so i thought that my Artist had to look age appropriate and suitable so parents would actually want their children to listen to her. If i chose to put her in a raunchy outfit, i think that it would almost immediately cause for my artist to have a bad image and repuatation. I chose to have Clare look desirable as well as aspirational as my target audience is not just female teenagers.

 However as i stated before her look has sex appeal but in a less obvious way, in a stereotypical "Girl next door" way. In the Latter part of the video we see Clare in a more angelic light, with her white jumper and curly hair. I wanted her to look more natural, hence the more subtle use of makeup, it represents a more realistic and true side to her, as if she doesn't need a disguise or OTT look, i wanted the audience to see the vulnerable and pure side to her. I decided to re-invent Rihanna's idea of being vulnerable in her stay video where she is stripped of her makeup, she is showing a different side to her in which we can relate.
Clare is not seen in the Male Gaze in the video, we see her as an active protagonist and not in any way subordinate. I wanted her to be in power throughout the video, we see her constantly breaking the fourth wall, she is in a way trying to reach out to us.


The main purpose of the advert was to persuade people to inevitably buy the album, I created two magazine posters, one being very conventional and conforming to the pop genre, but i also wanted to have another poster for the older more niche audience, for example the parents who buy the album for the teenagers/kids. My second one is more abstract, it has USP, a unique selling point. The creates an element of surprise and versatility, so it is good having two adverts it meets the needs of my target audience. My Magazine advert is quite unstereotypical and challenges the typical conventions, it isn't what we expect of a pop magazine advert, it shys away from the stereotypical image of having the pop artist at the front. This is a positive factor, as it demonstrates versatility.

 


.

No comments:

Post a Comment